Tuesday, May 24

Ooops... I blogged it again!

I want to start to write more... but blegh. I want a lot of things. For now, I will blame the fact that I can't focus on the fact that our air-conditioner is not working. Here is a paragraph I wrote, inspired in part by an episode of Sex and the City and in part by a post of a friend of mine on his Xanga. And maybe a little because of the fact that it's humid and I feel gross.

Being single isn’t not fun, or, for those of you who have a hard time wrapping both lobes around double negatives… being single isn’t without its perks. For example, without a significant other, one is free to make eyes at whomever he feels inclined to without repercussion (unless that wayward glance is caught, in which case some trouble may arise.) One is also free to spend his time and money exactly as he chooses. One is free to stay “I” rather than “we,” “me” rather than “us,” and “mine” instead of that tricky little “ours.” Is it selfish being single? Of course it is. But in a society where so much value is placed upon individuality and isolationism, is singularity a bad thing? Apparently.

Anyway... it's banal and obvious... and I wrote it as the beginning of a short story but I eventually got bored and exhausted with it (mainly because of the mundane-philisophical slant evidenced in this paragraph.) I imagine this as the tone to a larger piece... but I'll have to wait for inspiration. Hmmmmmm. Now I think I'm going to attempt to try and piss some people off...

1 comment:

Laura said...

4.0?! Good god man, get out of here with that. Just make yourself a "suma (or is it magna) cum laude right here" t shirt. Or not.