About two weeks after I got off the plane, people started asking me "What are you going to do now?" For awhile, I'll admit I had no idea... just finding a source of income was enough to occupy all of my time and forward-thinking abilities. Now, with me working back at the newspaper and living at home, some have gone so far as to suggest that they think that my current arrangement is a sign of complacence, and that if I allow it to continue, all my nomadic inclinations will become mired in their pre-China muck and I will be stuck here forever.
I am telling you right now... I am not stuck in Kansas. I will not work at the paper for the rest of my life, I will not take up permanent residence ten feet from where my parents sleep, and I will not spend all my income accumulating belongings that will only serve to complicate my eventual departure from this little life of mine (I realize now that what I just said sounds like I'm planning to die soon, or, at least once I actually do get stuck in Kansas. That's not what I meant, but I don't feel like editing it because I enjoy the 'wink-wink' allusion to "This Little Light of Mine." So, when I say "life", I mean "lifestyle"... and nothing to do with heartbeats, brainwaves, or breathing. Well, maybe a little with the brainwaves...)
Here are a few real, tangible ways I'm ensuring that these statements are true:
- I'm taking a second job (part-time at Yankee Candle) to get some more moving money,
- I've asked my parents to help subsidize the first couple months of rent and, possibly, moving expenses (a HUGE step for me), and
- I'm applying to roughly a job a day... which I know isn't really enough, but it's better than nothing.
I'm hoping (realistically) to be out of here by early- to mid-October... and at the moment I am pushing to move to Seattle. If I made it in China for a year, you can be damned well sure that I can make it work in Seattle, even if I have to take on three jobs, one of which involves cleaning up cat shit (or turkey.) I'm prepared!
... and... yeah.

1 comment:
I am so happy to hear that you're still planning on Seattle...I chatted with Jessica last night and was reassured that you're still on the right track. I'm so f'ing excited! You know it's only a 3 hour drive to Portland? :)
Post a Comment