Friday, October 19

It's not that I haven't felt like blogging. I just hate my computer. And John Malkovich.

So, I'm in Seattle.

I'm sure you knew that, or know that, or whatever the proper tense of the verb would be in this situation (college was years ago, folks... YEARS!!!) but I feel as though I should say it anyway.

I'm in Seattle, living with Jessica, who I've known since second grade, and working at a coffeeshop at an hourly rate that I can only assume is minimum wage because if it were any lower, I'd be out on the street doing hail Mary's with the guy I saw on the accelration ramp to the I-5 on my way home from work yesterday. And so far, it's been pretty amazing.

I've taken to the mandatory recycling pretty well, I'm in love with the way I've decorated my room (Thanks, IKEA!), and I'm moderately able to navagate the hills and winding, maze-like avenues that make up West Seattle (which isn't all that far outside of the main, exciting part of the city, contrary to what Google maps and walkscore.com might have you think.) So far, my days go something like this:

7:30 a.m. - wake up thirty minutes before my alarm goes off. pee. go back to bed.
8 a.m. - wake up for real. shower. make breakfast/coffee and consume these things while checking the traffic on the news.
9 a.m. - leave for work if the traffic looks bad. watch a little bit of Regis and Kelly if it looks okay, then leave. sit in traffic.
10 a.m. - arrive at work. drink some coffee.
12 p.m. - become tired at work. drink some coffee. feel less tired, more zombie-like.
2 p.m. - get off work. drive home.
2:30 p.m. - arrive at home. check my e-mail. look for jobs.
4 p.m. - do something "house-wifey" (wash dishes, make bed, clean stuff) OR play some Wii.
5 p.m. - wait for Jessica to get home.
7:30 p.m. - eat dinner. become extremely tired. start drinking beer.
8 p.m. - watch primetime TV OR go out and do something.
11 p.m. - go to bed.

Of course, this will all change next week when I start working full-time, but it's been an enjoyable schedule nevertheless, I think mainly because it's a bit unfamiliar.

And now two notes on the weather in Seattle:

1. It is rainy, but not like everyone might have you think. By which I mean, it rains almost every day, but the sun also shines almost every day as well. That saying "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes it will change" applies more to Seattle than it ever did to Kansas.
2. If someone in Seattle tells you there's going to be a wind storm and that you need to stock up on your bottled water and non-perishables, don't buy it. Tell them to take a sedative and calm the hell down, because it's really not that big of a deal.

2 comments:

Ms. Anheier said...

People in the northwest have no idea what real storms are like. They freak out about the slightest change in wind and over lighting and thunder. It's actually pretty hilarious to me sometimes.

Anonymous said...

What's a windstorm? Is that like a baby tornado?
Good luck and godspeed!