Sunday, July 27

Discovering the Art of Time Management

Tomorrow I start my second job. With the potential job at the magazine having seemingly fallen through - as did a potential apartment for the fall due to my strained financial situation - I decided it was time to put up or shut up. So, I got a job (disconcertingly easily) as a barista/cashier at McCaw Hall, home of the Seattle Opera and Ballet.

I worry that I might not be able to handle working a 70+ hour week; however, I know that I'm not able to continue living in expensive-ass Seattle on a mere $250 a week. And so, I'm suck it up, swallowing my pride, and putting my nose to the proverbial grindstone.

I keep thinking of ways I'm going to manage it: sneaking in naps anywhere I can, taking as many of the fringe benefits (free food, glimpses of gorgeous set pieces, overheard operas) - but I think the key (and most difficult) ingredient is that I'm going to have to truly find enjoyment in the work I'm doing... which sounds easy enough - until some bastard comes in and says that he ordered decaf (he didn't) and soy (he said nonfat) and it's your fault and he's going to write to TellTullys.com and tattle on you, because you people are being so rude to him and he just can't believe it.

Even if steaming milk isn't a highly creative pursuit (although it is more so than you'd think it would be) at least I find it vaguely theraputic...

No comments: