Why do people do it? What compels us to take our books or notes or magazines outside to try and read them? The wind constantly makes us lose our place, bugs fly onto the pages and then you swat them, leaving that permanent red-black stain ground into the coarse, 30% recycled surface of your book. Plus, there are SO many distractions... pedestrians laughing, enjoying life; automobiles, little red squirrels fucking on the lawn...
So, we obviously don't read outside for ourselves or for the atmosphere or whatever. Tanning can't be an excuse either, because 1.) the glare from the pages leaves you blind for hours, I don't care how dark your sunglasses are and 2.) the shadow of the book RUINS your tan.
We do it simply because we want to be seen. We want to create yet another image of ourselves... that of an intellectual debutante who is so thirsty to soak up every lick of knowlege we can that we must read between our classes or during our lunch breaks... whenever we can find the time!
Give me a break, people. Read at home, or in the library, or in the crappy coffee shops. Somewhere where I don't have to look at you. I hate myself enough as it is.

2 comments:
Uh- I read outside when I just want to get away from the distractions of my apartment.
Hey no need to get defensive... this is more of an exposition of MY flaws rather than everyone elses.
Post a Comment