Saturday, June 16

Linkin Strong

I think I might have just had my first positive encounter with Chinese people ever (other than, of course, our resident bartender, JJ.)

My friends Richard and Greg, both teachers at the nearby Petroleum University, held an American-style bar night for their American Culture class, where basically the students were invited to come out to the bar and interact with foreigners (I assure you, this is a Chinese kid's wet dream-come-true.) So I begrudgingly decided to attend, even though most of my previous conversations/encounters with Chinese people have been creepy, annoying, or otherwise off-putting.

Tonight, though, I was entertained, and I feel I had fairly good conversations with all of the people I spoke with. Of particular note was an automation major whose self-given English name is "Linkin Strong'. Linkin Strong is awesome. Linkin Strong will rule the world. Linkin Strong says you'd better exercise and play sports... or else! He was a bit abrasive I suppose, but I enjoyed listening to him prattle on about how sports are important and how Linkin Park is the bridge between Western and Eastern culture.

But really, I had a good time.

Also, I've been buying up glasses like there's no tomorrow. So far I've bought three new pairs (complete with eye exam, frames, and lenses) for about US$160. Sweeeeet. One pair is black and blaze orange, another is white, and the final is a deep blue green that I think will match my car nicely. I'm still on the lookout for a pair or two more... I want to be in the position where I can have numerous optical options for any given occassion. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Ms. Anheier said...

Damn- I wish I had that many optical options. That's so much fun! I'm thinking of getting myself a new pair in the next 6 months or so. I've had the same pair since my freshman year of college, which has already been 6 years. Time flies. By the way- will you be in KC around October 6th? Pretty please? I'll be back for Judy's wedding then. I'd like to come back before then as well, but don't know if I have the time or money.