A fun-filled Wednesday. Today (well, yesterday actually) was a pretty good day. I didn't have to work (for the second night in a row... actually, I don't work again till Sunday night!) so it was just a nice, relaxing day. I even grilled up a nice T-bone steak for myself! Then I went and saw Othello at McCain. I'm not sure how I felt about the production; it was set in a sort of pseudo-Nazi Venice (I think, although it could have been modern), so all the characters were in cammos or nazi get-up and berets and they marched around like toy soldiers. There was also some "slow motion" which in one scene was almost comical, as it kind of looked like they were taking cues from The Matrix. But more than that, in the beginning, I couldn't really take Othello seriously; he seemed almost "giddy as a school girl" about his rad new wife, Desdemona. Then, when he took his drastic turn, I was like, "Yeah, whatever... he's just being a baby." Iago was good though... and Emilia, who was black, which I suppose they did in an effort to narrow down the reasons why Iago hates Othello so much. Bianca (Michele Hillen, who, according to the program is going to be in Mona Lisa Smile, although when I looked on IMDB I didn't find her name) was really hot. They had this techno dance scene; it was cool. And I liked the sets... especially the last one. I dunno, on a scale of one to ten, I'd give it an eight for originality and vision, and a three for effectiveness. I think it was the really bad B-war movie music they used to transition between scenes. I felt like I was watching the CBS nightly news (you know their theme song?)
ANYWAY... sorry for that scattered and poorly written review. I just had to give my two cents. Other good things that happened today... my friend Carey IM'd me!!! It was so exciting! She's in Spain, which is great, and wants to be a furniture designer! It was great hearing from her... hopefully we can hang out when she gets back!
I watched 28 Days Later... I am a fan. It's not quite my genre, but it was pretty damn interesting. The whole procreation bit was a bit out there, but maybe lonely British men get a bit crazy (and horny)? Meh.... if/when it comes down in price, it'll probably wind up in my collection.

No comments:
Post a Comment