Friday, June 4

Go, Harry!

I saw the most recent installment of Harry Potter tonight, and as I anticipated, I enjoyed it immensely! The world of Hogwarts and the characters that I read in the books appeared on screen almost exactly as I had envisioned them in my mind. The problem with this, is that it was so much closer to my own perception that I regretted that I hadn't gotten to known these characters and this world in the two previous films. The new Hogwarts is unruly and yet beautiful... extremely natural, whereas I will describe the Hogwarts of old as "pastoral"... well kept, almost to a fault. The characters too are now gloriously pedestrian... the boys tasting magical candies was so natural, whereas in the first two films we saw these same actors simply acting.

I know I'm not making much sense. I guess the point is, I found J.K. Rowling's world as presented in this movie to be far more intriguing than it was in the past two films, but since it wasn't developed in those earlier films, I felt that it wasn't as full and wonderful as it could (and should) have been. Oh well... I still love it anyway.

No comments: