Friday, January 23

The Rundown. The first two days of the Spring 2004 semester have come and gone. I have been to all but one class now, and even though I'd like to wait and tell you about ALL my classes, the one I haven't been to doesn't happen till Wednesday, and I don't have that kind of patience. So... I'll save that one for later. Here we go, my friends:

The Environment in American Literature: 11:30 TU another class with my beloved advisor, Elizabeth Dodd. This class is a survey of American Literature that is written about, you guessed it, the environment. Despite the sound of it, it looks to be an enjoyable class, if for no other reason than I sat next to two very attractive females. It's mostly full of hippies and grad students, but you never know. It is the class I am looking forward to the most.

American Survey 1: 1:05 TU My teacher, Dean Hall, is a mountain man... old, heavy set, with a big beard and flannel shirt. He seems pretty cool. He is actually the husband of my coolest professor last semester, Naomi Wood, which is kind of weird because she seems so young. Despite his coolness, however, I think this class is going to kind of suck. There's a lot of reading (50+ pages per class), and we have to post a lot on an electronic bulletin board, which isn't so fun for me... although you think it would be, since I post on here quite a lot.

Spanish Composition and Grammar: 2:30 TU Have you ever taken an Expository Writing or Composition class? They suck, don't they? Well, this one's given entirely in Spanish, a language I haven't been exposed to in the class room since the Spring semester of my freshman year. The prof, Ines de la Torre Ugarte, seems really nice... but I dunno if that's going to make up for how much the class is going to suck. She even made a point of saying that people who did well in Spanish 4 struggle to get a B in the class. I quizzed out of Spanish 4... two years ago. Uggghhh.

Intro to Biology Principles: 1:30 WF This class doesn't look too bad. It's in a big "studio" class room... maybe eighty or ninety students at lab tables equipped with computers and microscopes. The professors, Glennis somethingoranother (a large, deep voiced woman who studies mice on the prairie) and Katsura Asano (a small Japanese man who looks to yeast for the answers to genetic mysteries)seem very knowledgeable in their fields, and seem very interested in contributing to our own knowledge of the world of biology. The problem is... I really don't care. The building is bitch-ass far away from my apartment, and attendance requirements are strict. I HAVE to have this class, which might persuade me to stay in, but... blegh.

So, that's my semester. If I were to give it a theme, it would be "Nature and American Literature".... which is kind of opposite from last semester, which was kind of "Old British Poetry" semester. We'll see how me and sixteen hours fit together. Hopefully better than the last time I had this many credit hours. Well, I'm off to work out!

No comments: