Sunday, February 29
My thoughts on 'The Passion'. Yesterday I saw that controversy-laced spectacle known as Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ and I think that it was good... for what Gibson claimed he was attempting to do. The gorey images of Jesus's slaughter and crucifixion are mortifying... and the shock of seeing it all on screen will have even the most iron-hearted among you wincing in pain. I don't think I would have taken much (if anything) out of the movie... but I do think that it needed something more. To me, it felt like watching a hollow, Jesus-bashing fest that while it should have made me feel uplifted by the man's message of love, it instead made me feel like a sinner in the hands of an angry God. I hesitate to say anything bad about this film because, it's true, that wasn't what Gibson said he had in mind when he decided to bring a passion play to Hollywood, and it is true, you should be able to infer Jesus's love for mankind from his endurance through brutal suffering. I think, though, that it wasn't exactly what we, as a modern day audience, needed to see. If that makes sense. I'm sure someone will illuminate me with their insight or knowledge... and I welcome that with open arms.

No comments:
Post a Comment