Wednesday, December 8

Hold your applause, please.

A loosely written short story about the movies I'm missing:

Mitchell's Nightmare

There was a small boy named Mitchell who thought that nothing could go wrong. He would frolick and play in the American Splendor of his hometown, often skipping dinner, until the day turned dark and grey and the streetlamps lit with pops, showering the night with an amber glow.

It was an ordinary Tuesday in the middle of winter. Mitchell had missed dinner again - club sandwiches - but he didn't care. Exhausted from his day of snowy fun, he went to his comfortable race car bed, and with his Eyes Wide Shut, he eased into a peaceful sleep. Peaceful, that is, until he had The Nightmare. Before Christmas, his mother had told him the story of a living, breathing, talking cookie, and he had never looked at pastries the same again. In his dream, the cookie shouted things like "Catch Me If You Can" and "I will eat you, you little bastard!!" It carried scissors and threatened to cut off Mitchell's bare toes. He ran and ran and ran until he had run 8 Miles (which he knew because of a large neon blue pedometer ticking away in the sky where the sun should have been), and then in a cold sweat, he jolted back into reality.

"The Fifth Element!" poor little Mitchell screamed out incoherently into the dark of his room. In the distance, he heard the creaking floorboards which meant his mom was coming. She opened the door slowly. She looked like hell. "You okay?" she asked. "Yeah I'm fine," he responded apologetically. His stomach rumbled; he realized he had forgotten dinner. His mom eyed him keenly. "It sounded like you were putting up quite a Fight. Club sandwich?"

"Yes, please."

---

I finally took count of my DVDs. You'll see the missing titles included seemlessly into the tale above. I've also updated the listing on my DVD list - complete with a new count... 253. Isn't that insane? I need a new hobby. You want to be her?

Ummm... so, now I do have an exam during finals week. My Spanish teacher decided that we hadn't quite made it through to where we need to be in our discussions on "Soldados de Salamina", a nice little movie about the Spanish civil war, so he decided to push our final back to next Thursday. This makes me sad and a little grouchy, but oh well... not much I can do but bitch and moan and just go with it.

I've become a Facebook fiend. It's pretty fun, albeit devilish, since it keeps me from studying for the three tests I have tomorrow. So does my blog, though, and I show no signs of stopping here either.

There are a couple more trivial updates in my life, but I'm starting to feel really guilty for not studying, so I'm going to go and do that now. More updates tomorrow night, when I have become a (pseudo) free man. 'Night.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I don't think that Facebook site will allow you to register unless you have a school email (even though you can designate yourself as Alumni which would void you from having a school email). Amateurs...