Nearing the End. I've been drafting a letter to my bosses Marvin and Vicki about the error of their ways, which I plan to give them as I am walking out the door of my last shift (presumably in two weeks, if I can gather up the gall to go for it tonight or Sunday afternoon). If you'd like to read it and give me input, editorial or otherwise, I will be happy to send it to you. It's a bit of a departure from its scathing early drafts, but I think it still holds a good amount of force, softened a bit by a possibly unfounded attempt at the sort of compassion they are unwilling to afford to their employees. Anyway, work tonight should be fun, and even more so tomorrow afternoon, when I have the pleasure of working with my good friend, the lovely Melissa Thomas.
I have begun to slack off again. Things are piling up, and instead of doing them, I am wallowing in my bed suffering the effects of my previous night's debauchery and writing well thought out letters to people who really don't deserve that kind of insight into their actions. Alas, it is my constant struggle to remain on task. My fiction writing teacher quoted an author who said something to the effect of "the most successful writer [although, really, any trade or craft could be inserted in this space] is the one who can avoid the desire to get up for a cup of coffee." Isn't that the truth? Not that one has to be getting up for coffee... it could be any number of other destractions.... the point is... the hardest thing to do is simply stay at the desk. Why can't I seem to do that? I'll be working and suddenly I'll think, "Maybe I'd like a glass of apple juice" so I get up and get a cup of apple juice for myself, then I wander into the living room and watch the cars drive by my window as I sip lovingly on my little cup of sweetness, then I return to my room and rather than sitting on my desk, I'll sit on my bed and straighten the books on my shelves, perhaps taking one off the shelf to flip to the page where I placed a bookmark months ago and never returned to.... it's another of life's countless "viscious cycles" and, quite frankly, I wish it'd stop. That, however, is something only I can control.
But, the question is....
Can I?
A Life Less Ordinary was really good. It was one of my "cups of apple juice" today. Speaking of which, I'm thirsty. Thirsty, and not at class, as I told my friend I would be. Oh well... I hate that class anyway. I'm going to go to the kitchen now. LATER!

No comments:
Post a Comment