Monday, April 26

Why I am bad at paying attention. Have you ever tried to hold a conversation with me, only to notice that my eyes are off in a different direction, drool is running down my chin, and my brain seems to be somewhere else altogether? We'll, I've noticed it, and I'm about to blow apart the whole myth that I have ADD (or whatever they are calling it nowadays. ADHD?! What the hell? High Definition what???)

Perhaps I am just a genuinely selfish person... too concerned with my own set of problems to even care enough to listen to yours. This little bastion of self-effusion certainly would support such a hypothesis. Yet, I'd like to think that the care I hold in my heart for each and every one of you (save a couple.... you know who you are) is genuine. I'm not a shallow person, am I? Was I ever really afforded that luxury? Dashing good looks? Chiseled body? Masterful conversationalist? Let's face it... about the only thing I know how to do well is mix ice cream on a granite stone... and I don't even get commended for that! How could I be confused for an someone with an inflated ego? I am so humble I am probably even a better person than YOU!

So, since we've established that I really do care about what you have to say (we have done that, haven't we?), perhaps it's time to move on to a different idea. Perhaps when I'm being bombarded by different conversations and other auditory stimuli, I, being the giving person I am, want to offer every one of them an equal amount of my attention and so, on the whole, my concentration on any one conversation suffers.

I dunno.

This is a pointless entry... I just wanted something to write.

Perhaps I should have titled it "Why am I bad at paying attention?" because I really don't know. I was thinking about it today. It really bothers me. I'm sorry if it really bothers you too. I love you just the same.

No comments: