Tonight is one of those nights when sleeping seems impossible. I love the rain. The sounds and the smells of the world underwater. Makes me happy, much in the same way melancholic music and depressing films make me happy. There was a time in my life when I loved the happier things... the top 40 music and the romantic comedies and what have you. I can't really put a finger on what happened. Or maybe I can. At any rate, I would indeed prefer not to.
In class yesterday (Thursday), I actually had things to say... intelligent things.... things that made my teachers nod rather than stare blankly at my face hoping for further clarification.... and that was good. Maybe I'll actually get some participation points! Probably not... Oh well.
We discussed Bartleby the Scrivener (from which comes the title of this morning's entry) in one of my American survey class today.... I've read the story (which is by Herman Melville) twice now, and it gets better each time (if I can really say that, since I might like it less the third time... two times is really too early to say... sorry). Maybe I should add Moby Dick to my summer reading list, just as a nod to nineteenth century American literature. We'll see.
I almost put in my notice at the Stone today.... but I didn't. I did, however, pick up an application at Barry's Drug Store, and also I found a new internship I'm applying for. It's at an entertainment magazine that's being started up here in town. It looks interesting, so I'm fairly excited. Still no word on Random House... bastards.
There was going to be a bit in here about the thought I had as I walked home from class today... about the real reason why I think being an English major and studying literature is perhaps the perfect major for me (despite the fact that I'm really not liking it all that much right now). Alas, my friends... I have grown tired, and find the sudden onslaught of rain and thunder a most opportune time to pursue my somnambulistic endeavours.
Apologies for spelling.... but nothing else.
